Friday, January 19, 2018

Bulldog Canyon.

While Kay was having her eye surgery, we were in the Phoenix area where we stayed in an RV Park in Buckeye, Arizona. We got to visit with my great nephew, Derek Wallace, and his wife, Rebekah, who live in Buckeye. 

Derek and Rebekah Wallace

We also got to visit with my brother Roy and Sue again at Christmastime. Some of their children and grandchildren also joined us for Christmas dinner. Such fun! So much fun that I forgot to take pictures. I did get a picture of Roy and Sue when they took us to the biker bar for lunch.

Russ, Kay, Carol Sue and Roy Wallace

Biker Bar
Our fourth week in the Phoenix area was spent in Bulldog Canyon National Forest Service Off Highway Vehicle Area. We needed a permit to camp which we got at the ranger station in Mesa for no cost. The area is gated and we received the combination to the lock when we got our permit.

Our trailer camped in Bulldog Canyon OHV Area, Tonto National Forest. 

 My boss, aka, Queen of Camping, suggested I rake the stones before putting out the rug and chairs.

I thought I was retired. Apparently not. I got an Attaboy for this.

 The view from our free campsite

 Jake, checking out his boundaries

Another view from our campsite

Jake loved going for walks. The view overlooking Bulldog Canyon.

 This is what we see on our walks.

 More of what we see on our walks. I love the desert. Why do they call this the Tonto Forest?

Our site as the sun sets. 

Did I mention that I love, LOVE, the desert Southwest?  Oh, and boondocking? 

Goodnight sun.

Can you see the wild horse trail? Jake is standing on it. It is about 18" wide. This is right next to our site!

This picture is taken from our site. Wild horses came through almost everyday and sometimes two or three times a day. Jake always let us know when they arrived.

 Then there were more sunsets!





Did I mention that I love the desert Southwest? Oh, more than once.

Finally, Kay got a good report from the eye doctor and we were free to move about the country. Off we went to Yuma and Yuma Lakes, RV Resort. We caught up with Bob and Cindy Rooley and made plans to go to Mexico together. 

We also connected with Linda and John Wilde who now winter in Yuma.

Kay, Linda, Russ, and John Wilde at Juliana's Patio Cafe.

 We were sitting in the outside courtyard. Jake was with us. He did not like the peacock getting close to us. He barked, warning it to stay away. I had to put him back into the truck.

 Mr. Peacock was right next to our table!

We love the parrots at Juliana's Patio Cafe. 

My favorite place to eat in Yuma. The food is good, too!




Our campsite at Mittry Lake.  We had to spend a week out of the system before going to Mexico. We had neighbors for one night. 

What's not to like about being right on the lake at sunset? 

Lining up to go to Mexico. Six of us joined this caravan. We are third in line.

More adventures to come. We are enjoying Mexico. I hope you signed up to follow by email so that you don't miss my next update. Leave us a message of encouragement. I love writing the blog. Are you enjoying following us?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Jake barked?! Gorgeous pictures. Glad you are enjoying yourselves. Love seeing all the places. <3 See you in 3 months. Yvonne (yjgv)

Greg said...

I really enjoy reading and seeing the pictures of your adventures. I like the concept of the boondocking because this is my idea of camping. Thank you for the updates and giving me ideas for my travels in the near future.
Greg

Mark from Missouri said...

Great news that kay's eyes improved! Ya..

And making the trip to Mexico is a bonus to us readers. Will be following you.

Mark

Von said...

I so enjoy seeing your blog updates and photos. Thank you! My prayers are with you all every day.

Your query on the Tonto Forest is a good one. It’s got a long, long history, but other than the fact fhat “tonto” equates to the Spanish word for “fools”, there’s no other reference to it’s name, and it was not the Spanish who lived there historically.

God bless you with further safety and joy as your journey continues. Give Jake a treat for me. ❤️

Carol said...

Finally got back to your blog after finding the address on Kay’s card. Enjoyed the photos, love those big skies! Carol Stiver